It’s easy to make fried rice a meal when you add a little extra protein, either meat or eggs, and a heaping of fresh veggies. In this episode, I’m going for a vegetarian option, so we’ll be adding eggs, scallion, and other crisp-tender goodness. Oh, by the way, yeah, I start with a bag of Trader Joe’s frozen vegetable fried rice. But believe me, the few little tweaks you see here take the meal from “Okay, that was easy and tasted good” to “Okay! I could even serve that for guests!”
If you’d like to make this recipe from scratch and ditch the prepared rice, just use 4 cups of day-old COLD rice from the fridge, and add about 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, mixed with a few teaspoons water for your sauce at the end.
Egg and Vegetable Fried Rice (with Trader Joe’s Cheat)
One bag frozen, prepared veggie fried rice, like Trader Joe’s brand
Two cups fresh broccoli florets
one bunch scallions, roughly chopped
2 eggs, beaten
Two medium-sized chopped carrots
1 Tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce or Teriyaki sauce
1 Tablespoon sesame oil, divided
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
- Heat 1 ½ teaspoons of vegetable oil in wok, over medium-high heat.
- Add eggs and scallions, breaking up as it cooks. When egg is light golden brown, push mixture to one side of pan.
- Add 1 ½ teaspoons of sesame oil to wok.
- Add Broccoli and carrots to wok. Cook over medium-high heat until still crisp (about 3 minutes), combining with egg and scallions.
- Add remaining oils and bag of frozen Trader Joe’s vegetable Fried Rice, or 4 cups cold rice. Cook until heated through (and rice is a bit crispy), about 5 minutes.
- Just before removing from heat, add soy sauce and stir well.
- Serve with Sriracha Sauce, if you’re so inclined. Yum!